Monday, November 18, 2013

The PS4: My first impressions Pt 1

Last week something incredible happened, the PS4 was finally released for average consumers in North America to buy and take back to their homes and finally experience Next Gen first hand. After working a midnight shift I was included in that Million people who purchased their PS4 in the first 24 hours.

Right out of the box its gorgeous, those pointed edges and that smooth black finish make it something that people are gonna wanna look at in your living room. Not to mention the redesigned and very much improved Dual Shock 4 that just screams hold me for hours, comfortably, I should add. Plugging it in and booting up the PS4 you hear the familiar chirp from the PS3 and already I feel this is going to be a great time. Quickly the menus pop up walking me through the initial set up and getting my social feeds set before a "Your PS4 is Ready" screen shows up. Jumping right in I decide to play around on the new, fast, and super smooth UI before going for the Day 1 update. The update took less than 8 minutes to download and install and I was ready to go.

After the update it was right to the store to download all the goodness that comes with PS+, the paid service for PSN that is required for the multi-player experience now on PlayStation 4. Resogun, Contrast, Warframe, DCUO, BlackLight retribution, all in the download cue. The only launch game I decided to pick up was Knack: an action platformed with a Disney/Pixar flare and a sort of early Jack and Daxter/ Crash Bandicoot feel to the game-play. After inserting the disk the installation starts but not even 10 seconds later you're able to play the game while it installs. Instantly a big win for me as I hated wait times on the PS3.

Not long after I put some time into Knack, Resogun has finished downloading, yes, a simultaneous download and installation all while playing a game being installed. YES! I quickly switch to Resogun with two button presses, so fast and smooth it will spoil you. Resogun is gorgeous and is probably the most addictive game available for the PS4 right now so if you have or are getting a PS4 I highly recommend it.
While completely involved with Resogun it was getting much to late and it was time for me to get to bed but the next day I discovered more amazing things this machine can do. In part two expect more talk about remote play, party chat, The PS Store, Social networks, live streaming and more!


No comments:

Post a Comment