Thursday, October 3, 2013

Me, Microsoft, and the Xbox One

5 years ago the only current gen console I owned was an xbox 360. My younger brother and I shared it since it was really all we could afford and at the time I think we were pretty good with sharing, probably not. We loved Halo and he couldn't get enough of Forza, those being the main reason we wanted one so bad. I remember staying up all night the day Halo 3 launched and watched videos on Youtube to see how amazing it looked and just in awe of what the 360 could do. I loved all my time with the 360 minus the 2 boxes we had that red ringed, I met some of my best online friends on XBL too.

But the day came when it was time for me to head off to college, at this point my brother was way more invested games wise into the 360 than I was so I left it with him. My online friends constantly asked when I was gonna buy another one, so much so its still sorta a running joke, I was then a poor college student, still poor just no longer a student, so there was no way I was actually gonna buy one but to keep them in good spirits I'd always tell them, "When I have money I'll get one." Yeah that was a great big lie but hey I'll tell you eventually about our PC gaming reunion. But one day I did have a decent chunk of money and you know what I did with that? Yup I went and bought a PS3, Uncharted, Infamous, and God of War 3 were calling my name.

Flash forward to the recent E3 2013, the Xbox One is announced prior to the Microsoft conference and is met with internet rage unlike we've never seen before a rage that only the internet can unleash. I find it completely unappealing until they begin to show me what I want, the games. TitanFall, Dead Rising 3, and Forza impress me but still the Xbox One not really the one for me. I don't want Kinect 2.0 or the Xbox UI in general but in the future when the price drops and my soon to be wife isn't looking I'll buy one so I won't miss out on those amazing games. The Xbox One is an amazing machine that I'm sure will do well regardless of the severe hiccups they've encountered on the PR and marketing side of things. Personally I would have thrown one of the development team on stage and told him or her to tell the people why they love this machine and I'm almost positive it would have been much less of the mess it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment